Monday, November 21, 2011

Pasta and Hearty Vegetarian Meals which can be frozen and re-heated recipe ideas please?

Hey!!!





I love pasta and other hearty, warming meals which include things like potatoes, cheese, beans %26amp; lots of vegetables.





I am a student and would LOVE ideas for meals that can be made quickly and easily that I could make extra of, freeze and then re-heat and eat for lunch the next day.





I am a hopeless cook and have limited resources as I am a poor student cooking on a strict budget!





So please give me basic recipes..I love lasagne and gratins and things like that, I'd love ideas for different pasta sauces too.





I would look up the recipes myself but I find it much easier to follow simple tried and tested recipes!





It would be great if you could let me know how long I can keep them frozen for and how to re-heat, how long to re-heat etc :)





Thanks so much :) xoxPasta and Hearty Vegetarian Meals which can be frozen and re-heated recipe ideas please?
lasagna works great in the freezer, and stuffed peppers, most soups %26amp; stews, chili...you can put them all in one portion size containers when you freeze them %26amp; then just microwave when you take them out. Any kind of plain veggies can be frozen too, but you should just cook them about halfway through before you freeze them, otherwise when you heat them up, they'll be all mushy. Then you could just make some rice or quinoa, etc. %26amp; some kind of tofu or something to go with them when you take them out.Pasta and Hearty Vegetarian Meals which can be frozen and re-heated recipe ideas please?
Make your favorite pasta (I use whole-wheat Penne for this). Cube an 8oz block of your favorite white cheese. While the pasta's still hot, after it has been drained, add your favorite red sauce and the cubed cheese. I also add black olives and mushrooms sometimes. A friend suggested I try adding green peppers and onions next time.





Never tried freezing it, but I've made huge pots of this and it has kept well for two plus weeks.
you can stuff a tomato with cheese, rice, and breadcrumbs. i can't remember my recipe of the top of my head but all you need is an oven and it is tasty.
I make a lovely beany shepherd's pie, which could be frozen in portions. Fry some onions and other finely chopped veg in a saucepan, such as courgette, mushrooms, pepper, carrot, whatever you've got. Add a tin of Branston chickpeas or soya beans in mediterranean sauce, plus a good squirt of tomato puree. Top with mashed potato, and grated cheese if you want. This makes 3 servings. I would serve with green veg such as broccoli on the side.





If you make a pasta dish for reheating I find it is better to use wholemeal pasta as it does not go mushy like white pasta does. One of my staple dishes is vegepasta - fry onions and other veggies in a saucepan, add a can of chopped tomatoes and a can of pulses of whichever kind you like - I find chickpeas or haricot beans work best in this - and a good squirt of tomato puree. Serve with wholemeal pasta and top with grated cheese.





You should be able to keep these things frozen for several months if your freezer is a decent one and also you freeze things straight away as soon as they are cool enough. On the day you want to use the meal, take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge in the morning. then that evening stick it in the oven at 200degrees until it is heated through, maybe 20-30mins depending on the oven. For dishes that don't need browning you could use a microwave which will be much quicker, maybe just a few mins but depends on the microwave so you would have to try it out.





Hope this is helpful :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment